Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Headed to the Farm

So, as promised, here's my big news...

This coming Tuesday, the 30th, I'm going to get on a plane to embark on a three-month long shelter internship with Farm Sanctuary up in Watkins Glen, NY.

photo via smarttravel.com

I'll be using this blog to journal the entire experience which, I imagine, will range from getting to know the different farm animals as individuals, learning how to be a farm-hand, becoming more knowledgeable about animal welfare and animal advocacy, making new friendships, learning what I'm made of, and becoming more intimate with a vegan lifestyle.  Many animals such as 3,000 pound cows, talkative turkeys, laughing pigs, and many more call the farm their forever home and I'm so excited and grateful to be able to have this opportunity to meet and get to know them.  It should get pretty interesting over here...

So, let's rewind a bit shall we?

Earlier this year (back in February?) I had been toying with the idea of either applying for an internship or a job with Farm Sanctuary.  I've been resisting an itch for a change in my life; and following my dream of working with animals, which had long been asleep and pushed aside, suddenly became a possible reality and reignited a sense of adventure and a more resounding urgency to commit myself to my passions in order to allow them to grow into a potentially awesome and fulfilling reality.  Therefore, I decided to resign as a teacher in order to fully devote myself into this new adventure.

Working with children, teaching them Art has been fantastic and an irreplaceable part of my journey in life.  Without my experience teaching Art, I can honestly say that I don't think I'd be ready to bite into this adventure.  My students have taught me so much and have given me so much joy that this decision has been the hardest choice I've ever had to make.  However, the relationships that I've formed with my students over the years have made this decision that more precious.  The students haven't left my thoughts once as I've brainstormed about where I want this adventure to take me.  Wherever this experience takes me, I want to make sure that in some way, I'm helping to benefit them and their future, as well as that of animals, while not losing the artist (who's been pretty lonely recently) inside me.  It's a tall order, but Joey and I have worked hard to set ourselves up in order to take a risk and invest in our passions and challenge ourselves to try our damnedest to achieve our goals in life and I'm ready to get to it.

Therefore, in early March, I went ahead and pushed "submit" to my internship application.  I wouldn't have taken the leap to do so if it hadn't been for Joey's enthusiastic support and confidence in me.  I don't know if I've stated it nearly enough, but I am so, SO utterly in love with my husband.  He's amazing and he allows and encourages me to grow into the best version of myself, even if it's a bit out of his comfort zone sometimes, and for that I am so grateful.



When I received word in mid-June that I was eligible and, if I was still interested, could interview with Farm Sanctuary over the phone, I was SO stoked!  A few days later, I did the phone interview and shortly after got word that I had been accepted (insert happy dance)!!!  Since then, it's been a whirlwind of emotions over here; all wonderful, though, and all geared towards getting prepared for this journey.  Here we go... :)

So, there it is; my big news!!!

What do you think?

If you have ANY questions, please leave them in the comments below and I will be glad to answer them!

In the meantime, I'd love to leave you with a couple of videos of the Sanctuary and it's residents.  Enjoy!



For more information, check out Farm Sanctuary's Youtube Channel.

Love to you all!





5 comments:

Jeannie said...

Ah, this makes so much more sense now to hear it directly from you! I am so excited that you will have this wonderful opportunity, Megan!! It sounds and looks like a beautiful place and I am a bit jealous of the serenity I am imagining. Joey will miss you I am sure, but this is such a great experience I am glad you have jumped at it. Good luck!!

Dani C said...

I am so excited about this for you. You are going to thrive there. And the blog post was perfect! You are so amazing and I am so happy that you are getting to follow your dreams!

Meg Travis-Carr said...

Thanks, guys!!! I'm so, so lucky and grateful to have such a big a net of love and support. :)

Unknown said...

Megan, we all only live once on this earth, and life is too short to regret not doing something your heart tells you to do. It's always good to have a spouse who understands you well enough to know what's in your heart, and encourage you to follow it, no matter how "out there" sometimes it seems. Life doesn't always pan out like we expect when we take chances, but if you never take chances, it's for sure you know that dreams will never have a "chance" to pan out. So good luck, this is definitely who you are, so wish you all the best, be safe, enjoy the ride, and take it all in, life doesn't always allow us to follow our dreams, but when it does, soak it all in.GL. This advice comes from someone who dreamed of owning his own business at 15, and without a college degree, a formal career education, or experience or help from anyone, started one at 21, and never looked back, and 27 years later, I on my second one. I Wouldn't trade chasing my dreams for anything. Ronnie

Meg Travis-Carr said...

Thanks Ronnie, that means a lot! It's so motivating knowing that I have such a wonderful family who loves and supports me! I am so happy to have you all in my life :)