Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Welcome to the Farm!

*Ok, there will be a random post soon, finishing up our trip to the Porcupine Mountains.  I haven't had the time to finish uploading pictures/writing the post, but I'm CLOSE...so close!  Stay tuned...

Helloooooo!

So sorry that it has taken me SO long to put up my first post about the farm, but it has been a *whirlwind* of information, hard manual labor, and lots and lots of introductions... of both human and animal individuals; oh, and yeah... there was also a Hoe Down.

Needless to say, it's been a very exciting time so far!  Being away from Joey and my ladies, friends, and family has been extremely tough.  However, when I find myself feeling really homesick, or just wanting to see Joey's face and hear his voice, I feel a nudge against my side, or find a cat curling up in my lap, or a chicken cooing at me through their hospital cage and I feel an instant sense of relief.  Hanging out in the sheep barn and having a group of 5 sheep walk up to you, wanting love and attention, is just *too* much to handle.  I spend a portion of my workday squeezing in time to hug a sheep... it's incredible.

So, working here is LONG and HARD, but the feeling at the end of a long workday, after you've kicked your boots off and fall into a comfy chair for the first time all day, is completely worth it... in fact, it's ecstasy. Finding time to write and upload pictures has been challenging, but I think I've devised a system.  I will try to post on Monday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's.  This week I'm obviously not on schedule, but I'll get there.  If I don't, please don't yell at me...

Here are some pictures from around the farm and here at Vegan House (one of two intern houses).  It's going to be a mish-mash of pictures, but other posts will be more specific.  Enjoy!

 the drive to the farm...

 the hills of Watkins Glen...

 Sophia, my NY cuddle buddy...

Snacking and games at Vegan House.  Brought to you by Beyond Meat Chicken Strips (SO GOOD), delicious soft herbed "cheese", and "The Dr. Laura Game"... yes... we will be playing this soon :).

Joey, the goat... he gets lots of extra love from me ;)

 Elliott, the goat.

And, the pigs...


 The Doctor... such an awesome dude.

 Harry, the floppy-eared pig.

 Marge, who lives right across from our house and who will come trotting up to us when we visit.

Pig Butt.

And, the piglets Ruby (right), and Winston (left).  These two are trouble and constantly making work on the farm twice as hard as it already is.  It's ok though, because they're adorable :).


I can't wait to share more with you as time passes and I'm able to upload more pictures!

Happy Tuesday!


5 comments:

Dani C said...

Everything looks amazing!

Jeannie said...

Pig butt! I am glad you are having a great time so far!!

joey? said...

I don't recognize myself anymore...

Unknown said...

Looks like Animal Farm to me... the way it should have been written.


Meg Travis-Carr said...

Thanks guys!!!
Dani - you would *love* i here.
Jeannie - Pig butts are possibly my new favorite thing.
Joey - you *might* have some competition.
Amy - It's animal paradise here... they are all so loved and happy... it's amazing to be a part of!