Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Rhye

This song, this band....

oh, this song...

You can check it out just by listening to the song by itself with it's album cover art, OR, you can check out the song with one of it's two amazing videos.  The two videos do contain sexual content, though, so be warned!  Regardless of the content (which hey, who doesn't love a sip of complex love every now and then), I love both videos, and I love the song even more... it's been stuck in my head for WEEKS!!!  In fact, the entire album, "Woman", from whence this song sprang, has canoodled with my laptop and I for the last month or so... I'm thinking we're in it for the long haul.




I stumbled upon Rhye driving to work one morning, listening to NPR.  Their segment, "Rhye: Men of Mystery Find a Feminine Sound" had me hooked as soon as they played the song.  Check out the article here.  After revealing that the band consisted of two men, singer Mike Milosh and songwriter- producer Robin Hannibal (both of who each respectively have amazing solo work as well), I realized that I wasn't shocked persay that the voice didn't belong to that of a woman, but that I hadn't even really considered whether it was a woman's or a man's while listening... it was just sensual, smooth, and utterly hypnotizing and, because of the experience of the song, the gender perspective of the song was irrelevant.  Much like the voice of their music, the artist's imagery for their albums and PR shots are vague and aloof, aiming for anonymity; not for the sake of being obscure, but for the sake of experiencing the music "as is" and not for "who is".  In the article, Milosh comments on their selective imagery, supporting their intent in putting the music itself as the priority, and not necessarily their personal success:

"I can't say it's not intentional because we made a conscious decision to stay out of things," Milosh says. "But it wasn't a PR scheme. It's not something that we created out of gimmickry, or whatever. We just didn't want to be in the imagery of it because we wanted people to have their own experience with the songs. Robin and I talked about it at great length. That's how we both love exploring music, especially when we were younger. You hear something, you're intrigued by it — but because of the song, not because of the image around the song."
"Woman" not only resonated and stuck with me, but the album also felt extremely important, and not just because of it's "sexy" content, though I do feel that we live in a world that dangerously censors sexuality in exchange for thoughtless entertainment and violence.  It felt extremely important in it's lack of gender, in it's ambiguity, in it's pure emotion... in it's humanity.  In a world so politically and socially divided, I believe that it is imperative to be able to knock down walls and stereotypes to reveal our most strange and precious trait, humanity.  So often, walls are built, blinders are worn, and the compassion and empathy towards our fellow human beings, is completely lost, forgotten, or stored away to make room for stubborn ignorance.  To be able to subtly debunk a stereotype for someone while their prejudices are down, through music, media, sports, etc., then the chance to open minds, stretch horizons, and knock down walls presents itself...  

Just for fun, and for example:


So, in short, I (obviously) personally took away a lot from my initial experience with this band, whether it was the experience they intended or not.  Although, I'm pretty sure that they left that up to the listener.    I hope you enjoy them as much as I do, and let me know if you have any music you'd like to recommend.  I love listening...


"Open"
I'm a fool for that shake in your thighs
I'm a fool for that sound in your sighs
I'm a fool for your belly
I'm a fool for your love

I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands
I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands

Caught in this pool held in your eyes
Caught like a fool without a line
We're in a natural spring
With this gentle sting between us

I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands
I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands

Ooh, stay open
Ooh, stay open

Stay open
Stay open

I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands
I wanna make this play
Oh, I know you're faded
Hmm, but stay, don't close your hands

Stay open
Stay open
Stay open

Hmm, stay open



Is it in your brain yet? 

Are you as turned on as I am?  

Go ahead, slow dance with yourself... it feels good ;)... or, better yet, find a partner.  This is baby-making music...



2 comments:

Dani C said...

Will Santa be paying a visit?

IF YOU KNOW WHAT I AM SAYING.

Meg Travis-Carr said...

... depends on if one's been naughty or nice... ;)