Friday, June 07, 2013

Sneak Peeks and a happy weekend!

This weekend I'm determined to wrap up a few projects.  Hopefully, by next week, I'll have at least 3 of my "To Do's" crossed off and I can begin whittling away at the rest.  I'm also planning on posting some "How To" posts to accompany said projects...

Would you like to take a peek?

Finishing up dresses for a few little girls in Tanzania




Memphis Fashion Week was an amazing experience in learning to design, create, and then exhibit your own clothes, however, the best part of that event was meeting other designers and staying connected and in touch to work together on projects like this one.  One of the designers, Sarah, will be traveling to Tanzania in a few weeks and will be working with her church, donating sewing machines, fabric, and supplies to women who are learning to sew as a way to earn independent income. 

While there, Sarah will be taking dresses made from a handful of designers to give to little girls in Tanzania, giving them a beautiful new article of clothing which will hopefully grow with them for a few years.  I love being a part of such a fantastic project!

Organizing the Kitchen Cabinets/Working on creating functional "Bulk Storage"

Absolutely no order up in here... none...



 I've been a messy person since the dawn of my existence.  In fact, according to this article, I'm apparently  "chronically disorganized".  I simply have an extremely hard time keeping an organized/uncluttered place.... but perhaps being messy isn't such a bad trait...

Regardless, of whether being messy is good or bad, I'm going to organize the kitchen cabinets in the spirit of fighting challenging one's own natural tendencies in order to create a more functional space for you and the person who chooses to put up with you (Joey, you're my favorite!).  After all, whether it's going against your nature or not, if you're in a relationship, then it's not just you that has to deal with your crap and clutter anymore... *sigh*...

One of the main reasons for this project is to begin implementing more "bulk storage" into our pantry.  Finding ways to eliminate unnecessary packaging/waste is easier than one might think, and we've already eliminated a lot of excess packaging in our bathroom (a post on that later?), so now it's time to take on the kitchen...

Recycled gifts (Mum wanted to get in on this action...)




I have a list of gifts that I've been meaning to make.  Unfortunately, I won't be finishing them all this weekend, but I can certainly finish a few... and I'm going to leave you pondering these plastic vessels... hmmmm...  the potential...

Also, once again in the spirit of getting projects finished, I finally finished this green dress I began when Joey and I moved into our first home as a married couple, 3 YEARS AGO!!!  I'm awful at starting projects but not finishing them.  Anywho, here it is, three years in the making, even if it would have only taken me a few hours or more to actually sit down and finish it in one sitting.


The dress was from a burda pattern.  It's the bottom right illustration on the pattern envelope.

The dress worn as is...

... and then with the lower straps pulled up, you have yourself a double-layered tank top!

This was an attempt to get a detail shot of the lower armholes at the bottom of the dress, but it's just so hard not to be distracted by lovely ladies...

What projects are you guys working on?

Stick around for "How To's", a "Hair-Do", and a recap of this week's "Double Feature"!

I hope you have an excellent weekend!  Joey and I are meeting up with one of my best buddies, Katie, to go check out this awesome band at the Levitt Shell.  I can't wait... finger's crossed it doesn't rain!




No comments: