Monday, June 03, 2013

Bespectacled

Feeling motivated and ambitious Tuesday of last week, I set out to knock out #'s 2, 3, and 6 of my epic "Summer To Do" List.  I woke up early, giving myself enough time to eat breakfast and have some coffee, which, let's face it, rarely happens (the breakfast part, NOT the coffee... I run on coffee).  I even felt motivated enough to do some morning yoga!  AND... I showered and washed my face (this, in particular, is impressive because I'm kind of like a toddler when it comes to taking shower... there are just SO many better things to do!). --- Anyway, the point is, I was feeling super productive and motivated.



Then I set out to do my time in the inspection line, then hit up the DMV, and then skip on over to give the folks at the Clerk's Office a visit for my tags, and then finally give my car some lovin' with an oil change and an AC fix... because Memphis Summer + no AC really don't mix. --- That all sounds pretty simple right? No?

Inspection line: check.  easy peazy, lemon squeezey...



DMV: FAIL.  ---  After driving 30 minutes out to the DMV (the closest one to us closed randomly and this one was somewhat on the way to the Tags destination) I got there with what I thought to be the proper documentation.  I then proceeded to stand in line for the next 30 minutes or so when I got to the counter and found that I was missing ONE original document, even though I had a notorized copy of said document. -- Long story short, I drove back 30 minutes, grabbed the entire filing cabinet with every single document that proves that I am THE original ME in existence, drove back 30 minutes, FINALLY made it past the counter, sat for another 20 minutes, got called to get my license, and then asked to step over to take the eye exam.......

Here's where you add a few expletives into my thought process.  


I forgot about the eye exam.

And, the last time that I took an eye exam for a DMV, the sweet, sweet person behind the eye exam helped me out and kind of threw me a bone.   Not this time....

"WhAt!?!"

SEE, I can SEE fine... really, I think I can see very well, but, I have one really good eye and one not so good eye.  In fact, I used to wear an eye patch over the good eye to try to strengthen the bad eye, however, really it just served to help strengthen my childhood reputation; especially after I attempted to make myself look a little more normal and drew an eye on top of the eye patch.  It wasn't the success that I thought it might be.



So, I can't see shit out of my right eye... so I failed the eye exam (grumbles away shooting murderous looks at everyone in the DMV establishment which I'm sure is how they're addressed on a daily basis).



I decided then to treat myself, so I went to get a delicious vegan veggie burger and a shot of wheat grass (for health, sweet right eye, for health!), and then, I headed over to my buddy Garre's for a delicious and much needed drink... Success...




So, now, after I realize that I really need to work on brevity... I was wondering if you could help me out...

I'd stumbled upon Warby Parker randomly and read up on their mission and was on board.  They have super cool spectacles AND for every pair that they sell, they give another to a person in need.  No brainer.  They also have a cool "Try on" option where you choose 5 pairs, they send them to you free of charge, you decide on your favorite, then send them back within 5 days.  Awesome! 

Here are the two pairs that I'm down to:


#2 - The Sloan
You can't really tell, but Sloan is a "Rum Cherry", reddish color.


Which do you vote for?


As soon as I get my fancy new glasses, I'm going right back to the DMV and claiming what is rightfully mine...




AMEN.



p.s. - I appropriated all of my images from whatshouldwecallme.tumblr.com... endless entertainment.


Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

I vote for the Baxter. And your DMV story makes me sad - I will add it to my collection of equally horrifying DMV and SS Office stories. Ugh.

Meg Travis-Carr said...

I know! Those places are the worst! Every time I have to do a DMV or SS Office related chore, I plan for an ordeal... if Garre hadn't called me up offering to hang out with a drink, I had one already waiting for me at home, just in case ;)

Dani C said...

Gah, I like them both! I think I'd go with The Sloan...they seem a little more you with the color.

DMVs are the worst. They will be the first places to go when I rule the world. DMVs and puppy mills, FIRST TO BURN!!